Many people work in jobs or for people they dislike.
Quitting may not be the answer because most people need the money to pay their bills and have no savings to rely on. You may feel stuck and afraid of not knowing how to change things.
Here are some practical steps that work…
- Develop a compelling reason to do this job, for now. Consider what your life would be like if you had no income. That certainly would not feel better. So, this may be the leverage you need to keep you motivated to do this work, for now.
- While continuing to work at your current job, start immediately to search for a new job that is more in line with your values, dreams and overall joy.
- Make a list of the qualities you want in your new job. Such as location, salary, bonuses, benefits, company size, etc.
- Research the companies that appeal to you and send them your resume.
- Send your resume to employment agencies and be proactive with your employment search.
It can be discouraging when the job offers are not coming your way. I suggest adopting a healthy self-care routine, work-out, eat well, rest, play and spend time in nature.
Do what you love, as an example, if your goal is to be a fashion designer, create a space in home and time in which to design. This is very important. Do not stop doing what you love because you are not getting paid to do it.
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.